Thursday, February 13, 2014

Back to Bangalore

I have been asking myself what did I bring back from the faraway land of freedom -- Goa. What did those 60 hours of moving away from home to the land of fun do for me? I know there's always something to gain but the ability to feel it, experience it, gauge it, and narrate it is getting blunted.
Maybe, making a list of the impressions the trip to Goa, the place and the journey back home had on my mind could help me come out of this blank state:

  • Long overnight journeys in small cramped vehicles can be very uncomfortable
  • The happiness friends' company gives is the most unadulterated form of joy
  • High expectations always precede a journey
  • The value of banter is highly underestimated
  • The search for clean washrooms in India is a futile endeavor
  • I love having access to black tea
  • You can neither get away from nor get rid of the corrupt Indian systems like police, RTO
  • Money owns beauty
  • Sea impresses, whether near or far
  • My lungs are close to retirement
  • Prawns are the best
  • A good host can leave a lasting impression
  • Ostracizing can be a justified punishment
  • There are people who appreciate wine more than me
  • Is Goa a part of India?
  • Women today are really bold and beautiful
  • Good times = drinking and smoking = not true
  • Good life can be good
  • There are moments of disconnect with everyone and everything
  • Europeans are beautiful
  • Sea instills excitement and awe
  • My inherent fear screws my life
  • Sea can make you its slave
  • Clumsy dancing and self-conscious attempts are ok
  • Daring is often born out of necessity
  • Shacks lure you with their simple sophistication and promise of liberation
  • Lights (glowing candles and lamps on the seashore) and sounds (music, the beat of the waves) are forever parts of my life
  • The ubiquitous Whites leave you craving for their carefree lives
  • The flow of booze and money is never-ending
  • A short visit is like an appetizer; it leaves you hungry for more
  • Leaving a place is easier than leaving friends
  • Going home can be sad
  • All good things end too soon
  • The mindset changes with the place
  • Attitude makes Goa; Any place can be Goa

1 comment:

  1. I must have read this about ten times now. Each time I read it, the list of things just flash before my eyes :)

    ReplyDelete