Sunday, September 12, 2010

My dumb, cute, stubborn lil birdies

Every morning, diligently, they would start their hard work. This pair of lil birdies would carry blades of grass and little twigs, throw furtive glances at me and start their day's work. They didn't seem to realise that their efforts were futile. I have been watching and interfering in the lives of these two little birdies for more than a month now. It is not the birds' fault that they found my chimney duct the perfect place to built their little home. The mistake is mine. I should have had the chimney duct closed. I still remember the excitement they exhibited when they decided on the site. I was not aware of their plans. I switched on my chimney one day and lo! a ball of dry twigs came flying out. I panicked expecting eggs in it. Fortunately, that was not the case. Then I realised the meaning of the commotion I had witnessed the other day. I knew the birds could not have their nest in the chimney duct. It was highly dangerous. Anyone could switch it on any time and it would mean catastrophic for the birds. I tried scare tactics. I tried to keep the chimney on when they were around. The only thing that seemed to scare them was me. Every time I got back home I found an almost-complete nest in my chimney duct. This became a routine...they assumed the role of bramha and I became shiva. My tandav had no affect on their determined efforts. I realised that birds were a dumb lot indeed! I kept telling them "fools, go away, you are wasting your time and energy". The onle response I got were more determined efforts. Then I got the idea of stuffing the chimney with a towel. It worked, they had to quit. They seemed dejected. Their land deal had gone sour. I was happy that before it got too late they would build a nest at a new place. Last week I found a ball of blades of grass on the gap between the chimney and the wall. Ah! my stubborn lil birds..

1 comment:

  1. Only thing that seemed to scare them was me=UMA? Not only for them dear......

    ReplyDelete