Sunday, November 24, 2019

I can't dance


It breaks my heart...I can't dance...
That does not stop me though; my body leads, I follow
When I dance, I get interesting responses
Some look at me with pity, some look amused, some are disgusted...some just look away
And then, there is my dance instructor, who has this expression of sheer disbelief and also,at times, sadness...
The other day, in the class, he came over to me - I had been doing my best to avoid eye contact - and said- this step is very simple, all you have to do is move heel first, then toes, then heel, then toes -- then he went 1,2, 3,4, sets of  2 - 5,6, 7,8.
I looked at him, ironed out my crumpled confidence, and smiled. I hoped this to be that magic moment the hidden dancer in me stepped out in a chasse.
Well, the miracle had to wait...I froze...it was like I had been asked to explain the theory of relativity. I smiled, I made a weird face, then smiled... my attempts at saving my pride made me look more pathetic
Then, with a look of determination, he asked me to follow him and do the simple steps...
I simply didn't...I did my own steps
Now, firmly, he told me I needed to focus
After a few sessions like this, I told my exasperated, frustrated instructor, "please let me be...in my heart I am dancing fabulously...I can see it and feel it. To the world, it may seem like I am going to the left when all go to the right. Believe me, it's about perception.
He gave up...
And I live and dance with the hope that dance will happen to me one day...one Tourner day...
Like I know supernatural power will happen to me one day...one superfine day...


1 comment:

  1. ha ha ha:))) Don't worry the rhythm is gonna get you....

    ReplyDelete