Tuesday, February 23, 2016

When I bought grapes & much more...

The vegetable/fruit vendor called me forward and took the basket from me. I had been trying hard to have my turn at getting the fruits weighed and paid for.The man standing next to me launched a tirade - why are you serving her...so she is a woman...have you not seen a woman before...
Scenes like this or display of utter disregard or disrespect for others is not unusual in our markets or roads or society. Some of us seem to be constantly on the lookout for an excuse to abuse someone.What was unusual was the response of the vendor...very politely he said---sir, you need not get angry...I served the lady because I noticed that she had been waiting for a long time. And yes sir, I have seen women before. My mother, my sister are women, so are yours. So kindly show some respect. The man was dumbstruck, so was I. The vendor expressed regret over the incident to me.
I walked home, pondering over his choice of words and felt inspired by his temperament. I got home and jotted down this experience because very rarely do we come across people who win our heart and respect in a few seconds with a few words or gestures... 

No comments:

Post a Comment