Saturday, January 8, 2011

My Kutch konnection

I visited the land of theplas, dhoklas and fafdas recently. I had been to Gandhidham to ring in the new year with the people I share my genes with. It is quite an experience to meet people you share your patchy complexion with or speak with a cousin sister who has a voice as irritating as yours. It is fun to watch the play of genes and the interesting outcomes of those games. The instant bond and affinity were so reassuring. Especially when the only green colour I could see around me were some thorny bushes and some dresses! Pigs, dogs, cattle, pigeons and my relatives dominated the landscape. All looked khate-peete ghar ke. Only difference was that my mallu relatives were well-oiled whereas the rest had a dried look to them.
Ten short days we ate, talked, laughed, argued, and ate and ate and ate. It was a little unnerving to see so many people so similar in looks and behaviour. There was much display of emotions. Hugs and kisses were in great supply. There were many get-togethers. All the members seemed to have perfect understanding and love for each other. Yet one could not miss the undercurrents of hatred. However, they have to be lauded for the fact that inspite of some misunderstandings and grudges amongst them the place has taught them to remain together. They do need each other in a place like Gandhidham.
I did feel like an outsider. Though they were my family I had not grown up among them. They could share jokes and laugh about stuff that had happened years ago. They had been through many crises together. I was just there trying to be the family, they had really been the family. I am happy that I could share their lives with them for some days. I have brought back a little bit of everyone with me. I admire their resilience in making a life for themselves in a harsh terrain.
I got back to my city with some Gujarat-special peanuts and memories - both roasted..

1 comment:

  1. :):):) cool... i was so much involved and was one among ur relative,was back at home after read the last line- "I got back to my city with some Gujarat-special peanuts and memories - both roasted..".... only now i realize im hungry,gotta cook something for myself and its just 12.25 in th night.... was going all blogs ryt from march....

    ReplyDelete